Thursday, September 11, 2008

Japanese

I am fascinated by the myriad ways in which humans can communicate and am determined to minimize my ignorance of foreign cultures. Thus, I have decided to learn an asiatic language. I debated between studying Japanese and Mandarin but after much consideration decided that ordering my sushi in its original tongue was too good to pass up. So here I am, with no previous exposure, struggling to put a grammatically correct sentence together in one of the most difficult languages on Earth. I find that when I pass by Japanese restaurants I can pronounce most of the words on the signs (very exciting.) Knowing what they mean - well, that will come later I presume. I have found that pronouncing and drawing is not as challenging as constructing sentences. This is the most challenging course I have ever taken, and I hope it will also be the most rewarding. 

2 comments:

LAN said...

I have found constructing sentences is the most difficult part of learning Japanese too! Since the order are so different.

アンドレアのブローグ said...

みちさんはじめまして。I completely agree with you, the grammar and building sentences is far more difficult than actually learning the scriptures.. Hopefully you'll get used to it fast. どこからきました?